Cargo and passenger railway:
- Low availability of the locomotive fleet;
- High failures rate in operation, affecting transit-time;
- Maintenance processes in outdated workshops;
- Reduced traffic capacity.
Through a turnaround project, ARM experts implemented solutions to restructure the management of the main workshop, using the 5S methodology:
- New failure analysis and treatment process, with maintenance planning;
- On-the-job training;
- New layouts for the main workshop;
- Implementation of new maintenance and safety procedures;
- Introduction of new KPIs and strict auditing;
- Follow-up of the development of the solutions in the operation;
- Implementation of new layouts for the central locomotive workshop.
There were significant improvements in a short term, in just 6 months the company had obtained payback:
- Reduction of 25% in locomotive failures;
- Increase of 10% in fleet availability.