Railway focused on cargo transportation:
- Volumes moved below budget;
- Wagon productivity lower than the standard seen in other railways;
- Communication gaps between operation and control center.
Considering this scenery, the ARM team of specialists developed a project focused on improving the productivity of wagons, implementing the following actions in the pilot area:
- Identification of gaps in the operation and benchmarking with the best practices of other railways;
- Assessment in the operational yards, planning and execution areas of the Control Center;
- Redesign of planning and operation processes centered on the Wagon Cycle, to increase productivity;
- New process (Production Meeting) in the yards and Control Center;making communication between areas more efficient;
- New KPIs managed daily;
- Training of personnel to use the PDCA-based methodology.
In just 4 months the first results appeared. In the end, improvements were registered such as:
- In the pilot area:
- Costs reduction of 22% in the wagon cycle;
- 26% increase in transported volume, using the same amount of assets;
In the rollout of the project in more corridors:
- Payback in just 4 months;
- ROI of 328% after one year of the project.